You can save thousands of dollars a year by purchasing the best vacuum sealer for you and your family.
Vacuum sealers improve your everyday meal by extending food’s shelf life while defending against dehydration, freezer burn, and bacterial growth.
It’s no wonder why vacuum sealers have steadily gained popularity as a regular kitchen essential.
Unfortunately, choosing the best vacuum sealer can be a frustrating and time consuming process.
In this article, we’ll review some of the best vacuum sealers available on the market. We’ll compare well-crafted, reliable products that can be used to seal all your favorite foods and delicate household items.
We’ll also look at various functions, features, and accessories that some manufacturers include in their vacuum sealers that others don’t. By the end of this article, you’re guaranteed to know which vacuum sealer would be best for you.
Best Vacuum Sealers 2017
- Best Vacuum Sealers 2017
- 1. FoodSaver Premium 2-in-1 - Best Overall
- 2. FoodSaver v3460 - Best Value
- 3. FoodSaver Vacuum Sealing System v3835 - Best for Food Storage
- 4. FoodSaver v4840 - Best Budget
- 5. Weston Pro-2300 - Best Design
- 6. SVV-00300 Vacuum Sealer - Best for Liquids
- 7. Nesco VS-02 - Best Vacuum Sealer Under $100
- 8. VacMaster VP215 - Best for Small Restaurant
- 9. Minipack MVS 45X - Best for Hunters and Fishers
- 10. FoodSaver V2244 - Best for Home Use
- Why Buy A Vacuum Food Sealer?
- Vacuum Sealers: How We Tested, What We Found
- Our Verdict and Recommendation
|Vacuum Sealer Name||Dimensions||Weight|
|11 x 20 x 12 inches||10 pounds|
|FoodSaver V3460||17.8 x 7.9 x 16.3 inches||10.3 pounds|
|16.8 x 5.2 x 10.2 inches||11.2 pounds|
|FoodSaver v4840||11 x 20 x 12 inches||10 pounds|
|Weston Pro-2300||15.3 x 23 x 9 inches||14.4 pounds|
|Souvide SVV-00300||15 x 4 x 4.2 inches||3.5 pounds|
|18.3 x 5.1 x 11.8 inches||7 pounds|
|VacMaster VP215||20 x 14 x 15 inches||84 pounds|
|Minipack MVS 45X||21.5 x 25.5 x 19.2 inches||210 pounds|
|5.9 x 10.6 x 17.7 inches||1 pound|
1. FoodSaver Premium 2-in-1 - Best Overall
FoodSaver’s Premium 2-in-1 system includes automatic bag disperse and rewind features, as well as powerful vacuuming capabilities.
As one of the best vacuum sealers currently available, it guarantees long-lasting food storage with a simple press of a button.
- Removable Dip Tray: This catches liquid and waste overflow to avoid frustrating and unsightly messes.
- Air-Tight Vacuum Seal: This powerful suction leaves your package air and wrinkle-free to prevent freezer burn and extend storage time.
- Automatic Bag disperse and rewind: This can suck up any unused bag material which saves you material, time, and money.
- One-Touch Marinade: Great for quick and easy marinating, it preps home cooked meals in a matter of minutes.
2. FoodSaver v3460 - Best Value
Equipped with innovative SmartSeal technology, the FoodSaver v3460 removes air and moisture while sealing in flavor and stretching storage time.
This FoodSaver v3460 includes (3) quart-sized bags, (2) gallon-sized bags, and a roll of bag material.
It also provides extra-wide sealing features for a secure, air-tight finish.
- Automatic System with 2 vacuum speeds: This vacuum sealing device features the ability to change the vacuum speed from low to high. It’s perfect for storing delicate food items such as cakes, breads, and cookies.
- Upright Design: This best vacuum sealer features a classy, upright design for better space management
- Crush Free Instant Seal: Along with the two speed option, the CrushFree instant seal feature is great for storing delicate food items.
3. FoodSaver Vacuum Sealing System v3835 - Best for Food Storage
The FoodSaver v3835 vacuum sealing device is a cheaper option compared to other FoodSaver appliances.
However, it performs just as well, if not better, than its predecessors.
Featuring multi-layer bags and a stainless steel design, the FoodSaver v3835 is both impressive and affordable.
- Vertical Design: Features a space-saving, upright design for easy portability and storage.
- CrushFree Instant Seal: This protects delicate food items such as cakes and cookies during sealing and storage.
- 2 Vacuum Speeds: This provides both low and high speeds during sealing to protect delicate food items.
4. FoodSaver v4840 - Best Budget
The FoodSaver v4840 offers a retractable handheld sealer and all inclusive starter kit.
It’s considered one of the best vacuum sealers available for its quick sealing abilities that’s not limited to just food.
It can also seal and preserve boxes, containers, documents, cutlery, and pretty much any item of value. The FoodSaver v4840 is an all-in-one package perfect for any household or business.
- Starter Kit: The complimentary starter kit includes (1) 11"x10' Roll, (3) Heat-Seal Bags-qt, (2) Heat-Seal-ggal Bags, (3) Zipper Bags-qt, (2) Zipper Bags- gal
- Retractable Handheld Sealer: The flexible handheld sealer removes air from all FoodSaver freezer bags and storage containers
- Rapid Marinade Mode: This instantly marinates beef, chicken, seafood, and tofu in a matter of minutes
5. Weston Pro-2300 - Best Design
With rapid vacuum and seal time, the Weston Pro-2300 is a commercial vacuum sealer that can also be used at home.
Its heavy-duty construction and double piston pump seal bar draws up to 28’ Hg vacuum strength per performance.
Capable of sealing extra-long 15” bags, the Weston Pro-2300 does more than the average vacuum sealer at half the speed.
- Double Piston Pump Seal Bar: Capable of sealing through moisture, the double piston pump seal bar creates a solid, even seal every time.
- Extra Long 15” Seal Bar: The extra-long seal bar allows for seals of every size. This includes 8”, 11”, 13” and 15” bags. It’s perfect for large food items such as ribs, hams, turkeys, and chicken.
- Fan Cooled Motor: The fan cooled motor allows continuous, repetitive use with shorter cool down times. This is another handy feature for businesses that require high usage.
- Preserve Possessions: The Weston Pro-2300 is considered one of the best vacuum sealers available for its ability to preserve non-edible items. This includes silver, jewelry, documents, and more. It can protect your birth certificates and photos from the effects of moisture and air by sealing them in airtight packaging.
6. SVV-00300 Vacuum Sealer - Best for Liquids
The Sous Vide Supreme vacuum sealer utilizes a touch-top activation feature that allows for easy sealing. To get started, simply insert the bag material, press down on the lid, and start sealing.
With an extra-wide heat seal for liquid-based food items, you can freeze and preserve all your favorite recipes.
- Touch-Touch Top Activation: This is great for quick sealing when you’re short on time
- Speed Control: Manual speed control allows safe sealing for delicate food items
- Elevated Seal Bar: This is meant to prevent liquid spillage and avoid frustrating messes
7. Nesco VS-02 - Best Vacuum Sealer Under $100
Slim and versatile, the Nesco VS-02 specializes in resealing leftovers and open packages such as potato chips and cereals.
Its powerful piston pump is perfect for vacuum sealing both edible and non-edible items, such as documents and jewelry.
Fully automatic, Nesco VS-02 comes with an all-inclusive starter kit and an extending sealing option for liquid-based foods.
- Starter Kit: (2x) 8.66” x 9.8' heat seal roll, (5x) 8.66” x 11.8” heat seal roll and (5x) 11” x 11.8” heat seal roll
- Extended Seal Mode: This mode provides the ability to manually extend or shorten the seal time of food items. It’s great for vacuum sealing liquid-based items.
- Seal-Only Mode: Illuminating the vacuum sequence, this mode is great for protecting delicate food items.
8. VacMaster VP215 - Best for Small Restaurant
The VacMaster VP215 is a high-end appliance built for high-usage in a commercial setting. Featuring a ¼ horsepower rotary oil pump, this food vacuum sealer is both dependable and easy-to-use.
At 84 pounds, VacMaster VP215 utilizes a cube-like design that makes it simple to store, and yet frustrating to move. However, its double seal function guarantees long-term storage with little-to-no work.
- Double Seal Function: This guarantees a clean, tight seal with no wrinkles, creases, or air bubbles.
- ¼ Horsepower rotary oil pump: This allows for continuous, repetitive sealing without the vacuum sealing device overheating or needing a cool-down period. It’s great for businesses, restaurants, and culinary institutions.
- Chamber Machine: With its cube-like design, the VacMaster VP215 provides a chamber for vacuum sealing food items. To use: simply insert the vacuum bag into the chamber and close the lid. The air inside the machine will be sucked out. This equalizes the air pressure on both the inside and outside of the bag, which, in turn, prevents spillage and frustrating messes.
9. Minipack MVS 45X - Best for Hunters and Fishers
Considered the best vacuum sealer for its auto-calibration function, this appliance is a revolutionary product like no other.
At 210 pounds, the “not-so-mini” Minipack MVS 45x features a simple, automatic operation system that allows for quick and reliable sealing.
It’s large sealing chamber and volumetric sensor makes this vacuum sealer perfect for commercial use. Not to mention, Minipack MVS 45X utilizes industrial grade materials and comes pre-programmed with 10 storable features.
- Volumetric Sensor: The Minipack MVS 45x’s volumetric sensor allows for better sealing control and fewer messes due to liquid spillage.
- 10 Programmable Features: Quick and simple, this vacuum sealer provides 10 easy-to-access sealing programs. Instead of shifting through the device’s digital screen, simply insert the vacuum bag, close the lid, and choose a command. This saves you plenty of time and energy with each sealing.
- Industrial Grade Seal Bar: The aluminum sealing bar is protected from power surges and guarantees a clean, tight seal with every use.
10. FoodSaver V2244 - Best for Home Use
The FoodSaver v2244 is currently one of the best vacuum sealers sold on Amazon.com.
Its widespread popularity may be due to its simple operations system and low cost.
Although, it lacks a built-in cutter and one-touch marinating, it comes with a starter kit that can last you months.
It also features the CrushFree instant seal option and a removable drip tray. The FoodSaver v2244 is perfect for those wanting to purchase a modest, affordable vacuum sealer that will get the job done.
- Starter Kit: 11"x10" heat seal roll, (3x) heat seal bags qt, (2x) heat seal bags gal, accessory hose
- CrushFree Instant Seal: Great for protecting delicate food items from being crushed or crumbled during the sealing process.
- Removable Drip Tray: Dishwasher safe, the removable drip tray is great at preventing spillage and avoiding messes.
Why Buy A Vacuum Food Sealer?
There are dozens of great uses for a reliable vacuum sealer, such as protecting your food items from bacterial growth and freezer burn.
Vacuum sealers can make your life so much easier by saving you time and money. Not to mention, they’re great for resealing wine bottles and opening snack packages.
Just in case we haven’t convinced you, here are 5 great reasons you should consider purchasing a vacuum sealer.
A good, reliable vacuum sealer can save you thousands a year in groceries. On average, vacuum sealed food items can last 5x longer than non-sealed food items.
This includes refrigerated produce that normally only last a week or two. With a vacuum sealing device, you can preserve your favorite cheeses, fruits, vegetables, and meats for weeks and even years.
More Storage Space
Vacuum sealers can condense various food items that normally take up space in your freezer or refrigerator. Instead of using large plastic containers to store your soups and salads, use a vacuumed bag that allows you to store more and save space.
If you enjoy buying in bulk, avoid having to purchase an additional freezer by vacuum sealing your food. Then you’ll have more than enough space to store your favorite recipes.
Preserve Documents and Heirlooms
Vacuum sealers aren’t limited to just food items. They can also be used to protect and preserve precious documents and heirlooms from the wear and tear of time.
Use your vacuum sealing device to seal jewelry, silver, birth certificates, photos, and wills. Then store them in a safe location until they’re needed, again.
Vacuum sealing devices can be used to make convenient, thoughtful gifts for friends and family. Just cook up your favorite recipe and then vacuum seal them in a compact bag to give away.
There’s no need for bulky mason jars when you can use a thin, easy- to-store vacuum sealed zip bag. What’s even better is that your gift will stay fresh and full of flavor for weeks, months, and even years.
Some of the best vacuum sealers currently available provide a one-touch marinade option for quick and simple meals.
This is perfect for those with hectic schedules and who don’t have time to pre-season meats before meals. You can save hours, if not days, by vacuum sealing and storing food for last minute dinners.
So, now you know a few reasons why you should consider purchasing a food vacuum sealer. However, these five are simply the tip of the ice berg. From gifts to money saving, vacuum sealing devices are resourceful, beneficial, and very much worth it.
Vacuum Sealers: How We Tested, What We Found
For this section, we tested the performance and durability of each vacuum sealer. Qualities we studied for the best vacuum sealer included powerful suction, easy-to-understand controls, manual vs. automatic operation, and usage times.
Through lengthy tests and analysis, we hoped to identify which vacuum sealers were best for commercial vs. basic home use. We looked for vacuum sealers that could last repetitive high usage with shorter cool-down times, as well as, quiet, quick performances.
We compared the features and accessories that each unit did or did not offer. Overall, we searched for the best vacuum sealer that could perform the best and offer the most to its consumers.
Size and Storability
An important factor in determining the best vacuum sealer is the weight, size, and storability of the product. While considered a handy appliance, vacuum sealers aren’t typically used on a day-to-day basis. That means for the majority of the time it’s stored away or set aside.
A good vacuum sealer should account for long-term storage with a small, compact design that complements its surroundings. It should still utilize the power and durability of a larger vacuum sealer, but should be lightweight enough to be considered portable.
During testing, we searched for vacuum sealers that were sturdy, lightweight, and easy to store. The less surface space they took up, the better. We also took into account it’s design and appearance.
If not storable, did the vacuum sealer at least feature a modern, striking design that could compliment your kitchen? These are all factors that determined which vacuum sealer could not only perform, but also attract its buyers.
When purchasing a vacuum sealer for your home or business, you should make sure that it’s warranty-covered. Does the manufacturer cover material and workmanship defects? If so, than for how long?
These are important questions to ask when choosing a vacuum sealer because they can save you both time and money.
When comparing vacuum sealers, we considered rather or not they were warranty covered or a money-back guarantee. A warranty is like a safety net. It insures that you get what you paid for, hassle-free.
Coverage we looked for included:
- 1-5 year Warranty: This covers defects in materials or workmanship. It may require costs for return shipping and handling.
- Money-back Guarantee: This guarantees a full refund within the indicated time period (30-60 days). This typically requires the return of all parts and material, in working order.
- Amazon Protection Plan: This is occasionally offered when purchasing a vacuum sealer through a third-party retailer via Amazon.com. It must be purchased with the vacuum sealer and can last up to four years.
Care and Maintenance
Possibly the most important factor to consider is the costs for caring and maintaining your vacuum sealing device. At first, it might make sense to purchase an expense, sturdy vacuum sealer instead of a low-cost, less durable one.
However, without proper care and maintenance, that sturdy vacuum sealer might not last a month, much less a year. It’s important to note that even a low-cost vacuum sealer can last years with proper “TLC.”
In this section, we asked the important questions that would guarantee you get the most use out of your vacuum sealer. Examples of this included rather or not it contained replaceable parts.
If so, then how much did it cost to purchase them? Where could you purchase them? And how often would they need to be replaced? Most importantly, what could you do to extend the life expectancy of your vacuum sealer?
Even an expense, one-of-a-kind vacuum sealer can break down if it’s not being suitably cared for. With proper care and maintenance, you could save yourself hundreds of dollars in broken parts and frustrating repairs.
Our Verdict and Recommendation
So, now we know the top 10 best vacuum sealers currently on the market. With all these options, it might be a little confusing to decide which vacuum sealer would be best for you and your family.
It can be frustrating having to choose between a high usage and a compact vacuum sealer. It really does depend on what you need and what you want.
We recommend the FoodSaver v4840 vacuum sealer. Both sturdy and stylish, this vacuum sealing device comes with an all-inclusive starter kit and a 5 year warranty. The starter kit, alone, can last you months, if not years, while the 5 year warranty is just an added bonus.
It’s fast and built for high-usage like a high-class commercial vacuum sealer. The fact that it can store both food and non-edible items makes up for its size and faulty censor.
Overall, the FoodSaver v4840 is most likely the best vacuum sealer you could purchase. If you’ve already bought a FoodSaver v4840, we encourage you to review and share your experience.
How did you like it? How did it perform and what did you vacuum seal using it? Most importantly, how did you enjoy this “best vacuum sealers review?” Let us know !